Nevada Reads is a one community-one read program designed to support our local literary community, encourage life-long learning, provide opportunities for community engagement, and offer avenues for safe discussion of topics facing Nevada's population.
The objective of the program is to encourage discussion on much larger topics, through safe and respectful platforms such as book discussions. Discussion of the fictional characters and scenarios presented in the Nevada Read's selections provide for a platform wherein members of a culturally diverse group can safely and calmly explore different perspectives and opinions on what can be considered socially sensitive topics.
The program is intended for an adult audience, although the books selected may be attractive to teens as well. Further, our intention is to encourage all communities to get involved. More than half of the library jurisdictions in the state participate and display the books and promotional materials to encourage individuals and groups alike to read and discuss the book. Some book clubs also rearrange schedules to include the current selection in their schedule.
It is the hope that the NV Reads selection should:
- Raise universal social issues relevant to Nevadans
- Lend itself to sustained, spirited and in-depth discussion
- Be accessible to adults and high school aged youth
- Be available in a wide variety of formats
- Should be a recent publication, within the last 5 years
- Should have a Nevada connection (desired but not required)